Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Verhaeghe Echt Kriekenbier

Why I tried this: I had the Verhaeghe Vichtenaar about a week ago and it definitely got me interested in the Flemish Red style of beer. I wanted to try all Verhaeghe had to offer, so I went with their kriekenbier next, which was described to me as a full bodied cherry style. My curiosity got the best of me.

Smell: A sourness tickles the nose, followed by the pleasant smell of cherries. Very nice.

Taste: I was fairly impressed. A very moderate but sweet taste of cherries comes out immediately in the first sip, followed by a bit of sourness to make it tart. The balance is really quite good! You can feel the carbonation, reminding you that this is not a wine, but a beer.

On a scale of 1 to 10, I'd give this an 8. This balanced kriekenbier was simply delicious. Not too sour, not too sweet. Jon and Scott weren't big fans, but I really enjoyed the melding of the flavors and the age of the beer coming out as you continued to drink. The beer smells pleasant, and looks great in a glass, pouring with an initial big foamy white head. At 6.8% alcohol, you're left with a smooth beer that is still moderately potent, without any of the alcohol taste. All in all, if you think you can handle a Flemish Red, I'd recommend starting with this one.

--Jeff

horrible.  Like a whiskey sour minus the getting stupid drunk immediately.  2/10


--Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment