Friday, February 18, 2011

Grimbergen Dubbel

Why I tried this: I had the Grimbergen Blonde and loved it so I decided to give the Grimbergen Dubbel a taste.  It came in a bottle much like the Blonde and I even got the officially logo'd Grimbergen glass this time.  I drank this while Jeff drank the Grimbergen Blonde that I recommended to him.

Smell: Peppery, yeasty, alcohol scent.  Much different than the blonde and much less pleasant.

Taste: slight malty yeasty flavor up front that was quickly overpowered.  I want to say it was almost an alcohol flavor or something I cant explain, but it came in strong.  That flavor stuck around and made this beer mediocre for me.  As I was drinking this I was really jealous watching Jeff sip on that delicious blonde ale.  That overpowering flavor completely made this beer one dimensional for me.

On a scale of 1 to 10 I would give this a 6.5.  I know this beer has a lot of great reviews everywhere but I did not find it smooth and enjoyable at all.  The first second of your sip is ok but what the flavor quickly fades into made this beer pretty un-enjoyable for me.

--Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment