Friday, October 14, 2011

Shipyard Pumpkinhead

Why I tried this: Pumpkinhead is one of those beers that you just know, if you drink beer. It comes around every season, it's cheap, and everyone seems to get it. Well, it's fall time now, and Pumpkinhead has returned. It's been a long time since I've been to WoB, but I was there the other day and saw it on tap. I don't think I've ever had it on tap so I went for it.

Smell: Has a slight spice note to it, coupled with a lightly sweet pumpkin scent and little malts. Overall, pretty weak on the smell.

Taste: The initial taste is that of sweet pumpkin, followed by some fall spices and sweet malts. It's pretty good, but honestly it feels a bit thin, and doesn't really vary from the smell that much, or attempt to do anything different.



Overall, I'm kind of on the fence with Pumpkinhead. On the one hand, I don't mind a lighter, easy to drink beer. On the other, I do love flavor, and this unfortunately lacks a bit. It has the pumpkin taste you expected, but doesn't really deliver enough of it. However, I could drink this beer all day and do enjoy it. For the sake of this review, I'm going to award this beer a half full glass, but don't be scared by that. Definitely give it a try. It's a decent tasting, easy to drink fall beer.


--Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment